Coles has raised more than $5 million since June 2018 to help schools, sporting clubs, disadvantaged people and the environment through the sale of reusable bags designed by Aussie kids.
When single use plastic bags were removed at its supermarkets in mid-2018, Coles offered a colourful range of reusable shopping bags designed by Australian school kids.
These specially-marked bags - known as Community Bags – have since raised much-needed funds for Clean Up Australia, Little Athletics, SecondBite, Guide Dogs Australia, Aspect schools and the Collingwood Football Club Community Foundation, with 10% of sales directed to their causes.
Specifically, these funds raised at Coles have enabled:
- The equivalent of more than 4.3 million meals for Australians in need through SecondBite;
- Over $1.6 million in sports equipment grants for 376 Little Athletics centres across Australia;
- Support to breed, raise and train 23 puppies to become Guide Dogs;
- More than $230,000 for Aspect schools which cater for students on the spectrum;
- Clean up packs including gloves, first aid kits and biodegradable bags to assist with Clean Up Australia days and activities; and
- Nearly $200,000 to support homeless and disadvantaged people through Collingwood Football Club Foundation’s Magpie Nest.