Baked spiced plums
Bursting with flavour, these baked spiced plums are a must-try when the nights get cooler. Sprinkle with toasted hazelnut, then serve with yoghurt or whipped cream.
Note: + 30 mins cooling time
- 1/2 cup (125ml) honey
- 1/2 cup (110g) brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) verjuice or apple juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks or quills
- 2 whole star anise
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 orange, rind peeled avoiding white pith, juiced
- 1/2 lemon, rind finely grated, juiced
- Hazelnuts, toasted, chopped, to serve
- Natural yoghurt or whipped cream, to serve
Preheat oven to 140°C. Combine the honey, sugar, verjuice or apple juice, cinnamon, star anise, cloves, orange rind, orange juice, lemon rind and lemon juice in a large roasting pan or ceramic dish. Arrange the plum in the pan or dish, cut-sides up. Bake, basting with pan juices every 15 mins, for 45 mins or until tender. Set aside for 30 mins to cool.
Serve plums with hazelnuts and yoghurt or cream.