Banh mi chicken bites with pickled veg
We've turned the famous Vietnamese sandwich, banh mi, into stylist little starters. They're topped with pickled veg for added flavour.
Note: + 10 mins marinating time
- 1 Coles Bakery Stone Baked by Laurent Sourdough Baguette, cut into 24 slices
- 1/4 cup (60ml) sesame oil
- 1 lemongrass stem, finely grated
- 1 tbs finely grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- 2 cups shredded roast chicken breast
- 1 long red chilli, seeded, chopped
- 1/2 cup (150g) mayonnaise
- Coriander sprigs, to serve
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 2 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 1 white radish, cut into matchsticks
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced lengthways
To make the pickled veg, combine the sugar, vinegar, carrot, radish and spring onion in a small bowl. Set aside for 10 mins to develop the flavours. Drain well.
Preheat grill on high. Grease a baking tray. Arrange the baguette slices in a single layer on the prepared tray. Brush with 2 tbs oil. Cook under grill for 1 min each side or until toasted. Transfer to a serving plate.
Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the lemongrass, ginger, garlic and sugar. Cook for 2 mins or until aromatic. Remove from heat. Stir in lime juice and fish sauce. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the chicken, chilli and mayonnaise. Stir to combine.
Spoon the chicken mixture over the baguette slices. Top with the pickled veg and coriander to serve.