Banoffee layer cake
Level up your dessert game with this epic banoffee layer cake. Rich and decadent, the flavours are irresistible.
Note: + cooling & 2 1/2 hours chilling time
- 125g unsalted butter, chopped, softened
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 Coles Australian Free Range Eggs
- 180g white chocolate, melted, cooled
- 1/2 cup (120g) sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups mashed ripe banana (about 2 large bananas)
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200g milk chocolate, melted, cooled
- 1/2 cup (120g) sour cream, extra
- 1/4 cup (75g) Coles Bake & Create Caramel Dulce de Leche
- 4 small bananas, extra, halved lengthways
White chocolate icing
- 100g unsalted butter, chopped, softened
- 2/3 cup (110g) icing sugar mixture, sifted
- 125g cream cheese, softened, chopped
- 80g white chocolate, melted, cooled
Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 20cm (base measurement) springform pan and line with baking paper. Use an electric mixer to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the white chocolate and sour cream and stir to combine. Add the banana, flour and bicarbonate of soda in alternating batches, folding until just combined.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 10 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Use a large serrated knife to trim the top of the cake. Place the cake in a clean springform pan lined with baking paper. Place in the fridge for 30 mins to chill. Combine the milk chocolate and extra sour cream in a bowl. Pour over the cake and place in the fridge for 1 hour to set.
Meanwhile, to make the white chocolate icing, use an electric mixer to beat the butter, icing sugar and cream cheese in a bowl for 6-8 mins or until pale and fluffy. Add the chocolate and beat for 2 mins or until combined.
Transfer the cake to a serving plate. Spread icing over cake and use a palette knife to smooth the surface. Place in the fridge for 1 hour or until the icing is firm.
Combine the dulce de leche and 2 tbs warm water in a bowl until smooth. Top cake with extra banana and drizzle with dulce de leche mixture to serve.