Beef and vegetable family pie
This easy beef and veggie pie is a classic comfort food. It’s a perfect warming winter meal.
Note: + cooling time
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 x 500g pkts Coles Australian Beef Casserole Diced
- 1 brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 2 cups (500ml) salt-reduced beef stock
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs coarsely chopped thyme
- 1/2 cup (60g) frozen peas
- 2 tbs cornflour
- 3 sheets Coles Frozen Puff Pastry Ready Rolled, thawed
- 1 Coles Australian Free Range Egg, lightly whisked
Heat half the oil in a large flameproof casserole pan over medium-high heat. Add one-third of the beef and cook, turning, for 2-3 mins or until brown all over. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with the remaining beef.
Heat the remaining oil in the pan. Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until onion softens. Return the beef to the pan and sprinkle over the flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 min or until the mixture is grainy. Add the stock, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and thyme. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours or until beef is tender. Increase heat to medium.
Combine cornflour with 2 tbs water in a small bowl. Add to the beef mixture and stir to combine. Cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until sauce thickens. Season. Stir in the peas and set aside to cool.
Preheat oven to 200°C. Spoon the beef mixture into a 29cm fluted pie dish. Use a heart-shaped pastry cutter to cut shapes from the pastry. Brush with a little egg. Arrange over the top of the beef mixture. Bake for 30 mins or until golden brown and puffed.