Beef, barley and wombok salad
This beef, barley and wombok salad is nutritious and filling. Fire up the grill and try it for your next weeknight meal.
Note: + 5 mins resting time
- 1/2 cup (100g) pearl barley
- 400g Coles Australian No Added Hormones Beef Fillet Steaks
- 1/2 (about 550g) Chinese cabbage (wombok), shredded
- 120g pkt Coles Australian Baby Spinach
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, cut into ribbons
- 2 medium Lebanese cucumbers, peeled into ribbons
- 1/3 cup mint leaves
- 1/3 cup coriander leaves
- 1/3 cup (80ml) lime juice
- 1/4 tsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbs chopped unsalted peanuts
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced (optional)
Cook the barley in a large saucepan of boiling water for 25 mins or until tender. Refresh under cold water. Drain well.
Meanwhile, heat a barbecue grill or chargrill on medium. Spray steaks with olive oil spray. Cook for 2½ mins each side or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Loosely cover with foil and set aside for 5 mins to rest. Thinly slice.
Combine the barley, wombok, spinach, carrot, cucumber, mint and coriander in a large bowl. Combine the lime juice, fish sauce and sesame oil in a screw-top jar. Shake well to combine. Season with pepper.
Drizzle half the dressing over the barley mixture and toss to combine.
Divide the salad among serving plates. Top with steak and sprinkle with peanut and chilli, if using. Drizzle with the remaining dressing to serve.