Brent Draper’s seafood chowder
Filled with prawns, scallops and crab meat, Brent’s creamy chowder is the ultimate comfort food for lovers of seafood. Served with sourdough, it’s sure to become a favourite for the cooler months.
- 3 Carisma potatoes, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 corn cob, husks and silk removed
- 20g butter
- 3 Coles Deli Streaky Bacon Rashers, finely chopped
- 1 leek, pale section only, thinly sliced
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tbs plain flour
- 2 cups (500ml) fish stock
- 2 cups (500ml) thickened cream
- 200g raw peeled prawns, coarsely chopped
- 100g scallops, chopped
- 140g cooked crab meat or hot-smoked trout, flaked
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- 2 tbs chopped chives
- Coles Bakery Stone Baked by Laurent White Sourdough Vienna*, to serve
Cook the potato and corn in a large heavy-based saucepan of boiling water for 10-12 mins or until the potato softens. Drain well. Transfer the corn and potato to separate heatproof bowls.
Place the pan over medium heat. Add butter, bacon and leek and cook, stirring, for 2-3 mins or until leek softens. Stir in thyme, bay leaf, cayenne pepper and flour. Gradually add stock, stirring constantly until combined. Add potato and cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until the mixture thickens slightly. Add cream and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 mins or until soup thickens. Add the prawns and scallops and cook for 4-5 mins or until cooked through. Stir in the crab or trout.
Meanwhile, use a serrated knife to cut down the side of corn to release the kernels. Use a fork to coarsely mash.
Stir corn, lemon rind and half the chives into the soup. Season. Ladle soup among serving bowls. Serve with remaining chives and sourdough.