Camp-style chicken pot pie
Get cosy with this warming chicken pot pie. Full of flavour, it’s a must-try for cooler evenings.
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, chopped
- 1 fennel, finely chopped, fronds reserved
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 2 tbs Coles Dijon Mustard
- 2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 1 Coles RSPCA Approved Hot Roast Chicken, skin and bones removed, meat shredded, stuffing chopped
- 1/2 cup (60g) frozen or canned peas
- 50g unsalted butter, chopped
- 6 slices day-old sourdough, torn into small pieces
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
Prepare a camp fire. Heat a heavy-based flameproof saucepan over low embers. Add oil, onion, carrot and fennel. Cook, stirring, for 6 mins or until tender. Add flour and stir to coat. Stir in mustard, stock and milk. Stir in chicken and peas. Bring to a simmer. Cook for 3 mins or until the chicken is heated through. Stir in stuffing. Season.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a heavy-based flameproof frying pan over low embers. Add the bread and garlic and cook, turning occasionally, for 5 mins or until golden.
Divide the chicken mixture among serving bowls. Top with bread mixture and fennel fronds to serve.
Make it at home
Cook the chicken mixture and the bread mixture on the stove over medium heat.
Toast leftover bread in the air fryer until golden to make croutons for soup.