Cantonese-style crispy fish
This Cantonese-style crispy fish is ready in just 20 minutes. Served with jasmine rice and steamed Asian greens, it’s a great lunch or dinner option.
- 5cm-piece ginger, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced diagonally (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 tbs Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tbs peanut oil
- 4 (about 200g each) white fish fillets (such as basa or pink ling)
- Steamed Asian greens, to serve
- 4 spring onions, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
Combine the ginger, chilli, if using, garlic, rice wine or sherry, soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar in a small bowl.
Heat the peanut oil in a frying pan over high heat until just smoking. Add the fish. Cook for 3 mins each side or until golden brown and cooked through.
Transfer the fish to a serving platter with the steamed Asian greens. Quickly pour the ginger mixture over the fish. Sprinkle with the spring onion and coriander. Serve with rice.