Caprese stacks with crumbed eggplant
These Caprese stacks with crumbed eggplant are the perfect vegetarian side to complete your holiday feast.
Note: + 30 mins standing time
- 2 large eggplants, thickly sliced crossways
- 1/2 cup (125g) Saxa Cooking Salt
- 1/3 cup (50g) self-raising flour
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 2 cups (150g) panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup (80g) finely grated parmesan
- Olive oil, to shallow-fry
- 4 large vine-ripened tomatoes
- 200g fresh mozzarella, drained, sliced
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- Saxa Natural Sea Salt Flakes, to serve
Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Arrange the eggplant in a single layer on the lined trays. Spoon over the Saxa Cooking Salt and set aside for 25-30 mins to drain. Rinse under cold water. Pat dry with paper towel.
Place the flour and egg in separate shallow bowls. Combine the breadcrumbs and parmesan in a medium bowl. Season.
Coat 1 eggplant slice in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg, then in breadcrumb mixture and turn to coat. Place on a plate. Repeat with the remaining eggplant, flour, egg and breadcrumb mixture.
Add enough olive oil to a frying pan to come 1cm up side. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook eggplant, in batches, for 1-2 mins each side or until golden brown. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
Finely chop 1 tomato. Thickly slice remaining tomatoes. Place 1 eggplant slice on a platter. Top with 1 tomato slice, 1 mozzarella slice and a little basil. Continue layering with 1 eggplant slice, 1 tomato slice, basil and 1 eggplant slice to make 1 stack. Repeat to make 6 stacks. Sprinkle with onion, chopped tomato and remaining basil. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and vinegar. Sprinkle with Saxa Natural Sea Salt Flakes.