Cheesy skillet baked meatballs
For an easy, cheesy one pan meal, bake beef meatballs in a rich tomato sauce, then top with grated mozzarella and serve with homemade basil oil.
Note: + cooling and 15 mins chilling time
- 500g Coles Australian No Added Hormones Beef Mince
- 1 Coles Australian Free Range Egg
- 1 cup (70g) fresh breadcrumbs (made from day-old bread)
- 1 brown onion, coarsely grated
- 2 tsp finely chopped rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion, extra, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- ½ cup (125ml) red wine or chicken stock
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (250ml) tomato sugo or passata
- ⅓ cup (80ml) thickened cream
- 60g pkt Coles Australian Baby Spinach
- ½ cup (50g) shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ⅓ cup (80ml) olive oil
Place the mince, egg, breadcrumbs, grated onion, rosemary, half the garlic and half the paprika in a large bowl. Stir until well combined. Season.
Line a baking tray with baking paper. Roll 1-tbs portions of mixture into balls and place on the lined tray. Place in the fridge for 15 mins to chill.
Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat half the oil in a large ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat. Add meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, for 5 mins or until brown all over. Transfer to a plate.
Heat the remaining oil in the pan. Add the chopped onion, carrot, celery, remaining garlic and remaining paprika. Cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until onion softens. Stir in wine or stock. Bring to a simmer. Cook for 1 min or until the liquid reduces slightly. Add diced tomato, sugo or passata and cream. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. Season. Add spinach. Stir to combine.
Arrange meatballs over the tomato mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake for 20-25 mins or until meatballs are golden brown and the sauce thickens slightly. Set aside to cool slightly.
To make the basil oil, place the basil, garlic and oil in a blender. Blend until smooth. Drizzle over the meatballs.