Chicken and fennel hand pies
Filled with chicken and veggies, these homemade hand pies are classic comfort food. Perfect for sharing, this tasty recipe is sure to become a new household staple.
Note: + cooling time
- 3 Coles Australian RSPCA Approved Chicken Thigh Fillets, finely chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced, fronds reserved and chopped
- 1 celery stick, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125ml) chicken stock
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup (80g) sour cream
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tsp finely chopped tarragon
- 2 sheets Coles Frozen Puff Pastry Ready Rolled, just thawed, quartered
- 1 Coles Australian Free Range Egg yolk
- 1 tbs milk
- Poppy seeds, to serve
Preheat oven to 200°C. Spray a large frying pan with olive oil spray and place over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until browned. Add fennel and celery and cook, stirring, for 5 mins. Add the stock and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 mins or until fennel is tender and liquid evaporates. Stir in mustard, sour cream and lemon juice. Set aside to cool. Stir in the tarragon and fennel fronds.
Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place pastry on lined tray. Whisk the egg yolk and milk in a small bowl. Spoon the mixture over half of each pastry quarter. Brush the edge of the pastry with a little egg mixture and fold over the filling to enclose. Use a fork to press the edges to seal. Brush the pastry with the remaining egg mixture and sprinkle with the poppy seeds.
Bake for 25-30 mins or until the pastry is puffed and golden brown. Cool slightly before serving.