Chicken schnitzel with lemon and mushroom sauce
Take your chicken schnitzel up a notch with our easy mushroom sauce. Ready to cook in just 15 minutes, this dish is a great midweek option.
- 8 (1.25kg) Coles RSPCA Approved Australian Chicken Thigh Fillets
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 2 Coles Australian Free Range Eggs, lightly whisked
- 2 cups (150g) panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup (20g) finely grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Extra virgin olive oil, to shallow-fry
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil, extra
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 150g white cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 150g pkt Coles Australian Mixed Exotic Mushrooms, whole or sliced
- 3/4 cup (185ml) dry white wine or Coles Real Chicken Stock
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tbs lemon juice
Preheat oven to 150°C. Place 1 piece of chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Use a meat mallet or rolling pin to gently pound until 2cm thick. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Place the flour and egg in separate shallow bowls. Combine breadcrumbs, parmesan, half the chives and half the parsley in a separate shallow bowl.
Coat each piece of chicken in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in the egg, then breadcrumb mixture and turn to coat.
Add enough oil to a large frying pan to come 1cm up the side of the pan. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken, in batches, for 4-5 mins each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a large baking tray. Place in the oven to keep warm.
Heat extra oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add garlic and combined mushroom and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 mins or until golden. Add the wine or stock and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. Stir in the lemon rind, lemon juice, remaining chives and remaining parsley. Season.
Divide the chicken among serving plates. Top with mushroom mixture.
Serve with baby rocket leaves and lemon wedges