Chicken with rice and mushrooms
This mouth-watering roast chicken is cooked in the slow cooker so it’s extra tender. Served with Asian-inspired sides, it's a flavour sensation.
- 2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
- 1/4 cup (60ml) soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Chinese cooking wine
- 200g shiitake mushrooms, halved or whole
- 3 spring onions, white parts thinly sliced, green parts reserved
- 1 tbs finely grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1.8kg Coles RSPCA Approved Australian Whole Chicken
- 2cm-piece ginger, thickly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, extra
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 450g pkt microwavable jasmine rice
- Steamed pak choy, to serve
Combine the stock, soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine, mushroom, sliced spring onion, grated ginger and garlic in a slow cooker on low. Season.
Place the chicken on a clean work surface. Pat dry with paper towel. Place the sliced ginger, extra garlic and reserved spring onion into the cavity. Use kitchen string to tie the legs together. Rub the sesame oil over the chicken skin.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken, breast-side down. Cook, turning occasionally, for 8-10 mins or until brown all over. Arrange chicken over the stock mixture in the slow cooker. Cover and cook for 3 hours on high (or 4 hours on low) or until the chicken is cooked through.
Transfer the chicken to a plate. Stir the rice into the stock mixture in the slow cooker. Return chicken to the slow cooker. Cook, uncovered, for 30 mins or until the rice is heated through and the mixture thickens slightly. Season.
Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Add the pak choy. Transfer the rice mixture to a serving bowl.
Serve with toasted sesame seeds and sliced spring onion.