Choc-cherry hot cross bun pudding
This dessert is a flavour match made in heaven! Complete with chocolate hot cross buns, cherries and flaked almonds, you can’t go wrong.
Note: + 15 mins soaking & 5 mins cooling time
- 9 Coles Bakery Chocolate Hot Cross Buns, split
- 40g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (160g) cherry or raspberry jam
- 1 cup (150g) drained morello pitted cherries or thawed frozen cherries
- 8 Coles Australian Free Range Eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) milk
- 3/4 cup (185ml) thickened cream
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 2 tbs flaked almonds, toasted
Preheat oven to 160°C. Lightly grease a 12-cup (3L) ovenproof dish. Spread the cut side of each bun half with butter, then with jam.
Arrange bun bases, jam-side up, in prepared pan. Top with bun tops, cross-side up. Sprinkle with cherries.
Whisk egg, milk, cream and sugar in a large bowl. Strain through a fine sieve into a jug. Pour evenly over the buns. Set aside for 15 mins to soak.
Place the dish in a large roasting pan. Pour enough boiling water into the pan to come halfway up the side of the dish. Bake for 35-40 mins or until custard is just set. Set aside for 5 mins to cool slightly. Sprinkle with almonds.