Colin Fassnidge's pork meatballs in tomato sauce with pasta
Colin Fassnidge brings us his classic pasta and meatballs recipe for a delicious dinner option. Packed with flavour from herbs and a rich tomato sauce, it’s a crowd-pleasing dish.
Note: + Cooling time
- Olive oil, for frying
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 500g Coles Australian Pork Mince
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 1/2 bunch rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch tarragon, finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch basil, finely chopped
- 1 Coles Australian Free Range Egg
- 1 Coles Australian Free Range Egg yolk
- Finely grated parmesan, to serve
- Cooked al dente pasta, to serve
- Flat-leaf parsley sprigs, to serve
- 2 brown onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 rosemary sprig, leaves chopped
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
To make the tomato sauce, cook the onion and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat for 5 mins. Season. Add the rosemary, tomato and 400ml of water. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 mins.
Meanwhile, to make the meatballs, preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking dish with baking paper. Heat olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring, for 10 mins or until soft. Set aside to cool.
Place the mince in a large bowl with the breadcrumbs, rosemary, tarragon, chopped parsley, basil, onion mixture, egg and egg yolk. Season. Using clean hands, mix until well combined. Shape the mixture into golf ball sized meatballs. Place the meatballs on the lined dish. Pour over the tomato sauce and sprinkle with parmesan.
Bake for 30 mins or until meatballs are cooked through. Serve immediately with pasta and parsley sprigs.