Courtney Roulston’s Cumberland sausage with warm tomato relish
Try Courtney’s take on a British classic. Her tasty Cumberland sausage recipe is served on a bed of warm tomato relish with crusty sourdough. It’s a hearty and delicious dinner for cold nights.
Note: + 5 mins resting time
- 500g pkt Coles Finest Pork Sausages with Apple and Cider
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 4 large vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 4 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 1/2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 tbs lemon zest
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- Coles Finest by Laurent Wholemeal Sourdough Vienna* slices, toasted, to serve
Heat a frying pan or chargrill over medium heat. Place the sausages on a clean work surface. Carefully untwist the sausage links to make one long sausage, then roll the sausage into a large spiral. Insert 2 metal or soaked bamboo skewers crossways to secure.
Brush the sausage with a little oil and add to the pan or grill. Cook for 8-10 mins or until browned. Turn and cook for 8 mins or until cooked through. Set aside for 5 mins to rest.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tbs oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 3 mins or until soft. Add the garlic and chilli, if using, and cook, stirring, for 2 mins or until aromatic. Spoon in tomato paste and chopped tomato and cook for 5 mins or until the tomato starts to soften. Add thyme sprigs, honey and 1 tbs vinegar. Season and stir to combine.
Combine the parsley, lemon zest, shallot, remaining vinegar, remaining oil and a pinch of salt in a bowl.
Arrange the sausage over the tomato mixture in the pan. Top with parsley mixture and serve with sourdough.
*Selected stores only.