Courtney Roulston’s mushroom, lemongrass and coconut soup
Try Courtney’s creamy mushroom soup for an easy weeknight dinner. Made with lemongrass and coconut cream, it’s full of flavour. Top it with chilli oil for an extra kick.
Note: + 5 mins standing time
- 500g Coles Australian White Cup Mushrooms
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 small shallots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 tbs finely chopped ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lemongrass stem, trimmed, finely grated
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 700ml salt-reduced chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- 2 tsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 bunch baby bok choy, quartered
- 200ml coconut cream
- 1 lime, halved
- 1 tbs chilli oil (optional)
Cut half the mushrooms into quarters. Thinly slice the remaining mushrooms.
Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallot, ginger, garlic, lemongrass and lime leaves and cook, stirring, for 3 mins or until aromatic. Add the quartered mushroom and cook, stirring, for 1-2 mins or until mushroom softens. Add sliced mushroom, chilli, if using, and sesame oil and cook for 3-4 mins or until mushroom is tender.
Add the stock and bring to a simmer. Cook for 3-4 mins or until mixture is heated through. Add the fish sauce, honey or maple syrup, bok choy and 3/4 cup (185ml) coconut cream. Remove from heat. Set aside for 3 mins to develop the flavours. Squeeze over 1 lime half, adding more lime juice to taste if needed.
Ladle the soup into serving bowls. Drizzle with remaining coconut cream and top with chilli oil, if using.