Couscous and chickpea salad with chicken
Dig into this flavoursome couscous and chickpea salad. With grilled chicken and loads of veg, it’s a wholesome meal.
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) pearl couscous
- 2 Coles RSPCA Approved Australian Chicken Breast Fillets
- 2 tbs chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained (see tip below)
- 300g mixed tomatoes, halved
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, chopped
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves, to serve
Cook the couscous in a saucepan of boiling water for 10 mins or until just tender. Refresh under cold water. Drain well. Transfer to a large bowl.
Meanwhile, heat a barbecue grill or chargrill on high. Cut the chicken in half horizontally. Combine chopped parsley, garlic and oil in a bowl. Drizzle half the mixture over chicken. Toss to coat. Cook chicken for 3-4 mins each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Cover and set aside for 5 mins to rest. Slice.
Add chickpeas, tomato, cucumber and onion to the couscous. Stir vinegar into remaining parsley mixture. Pour over the couscous mixture. Toss to combine.
Arrange the couscous mixture on a large serving plate. Top with the chicken. Sprinkle with parsley leaves.
The liquid from canned chickpeas is also known as aquafaba. Save the liquid and use it to make the vegan aioli in Curtis’ patatas bravas salad.