Creamy chicken with pumpkin and mushrooms
Chicken drumsticks, bacon, pumpkin and mushrooms in a creamy paprika sauce is the perfect comfort food for cold nights.
- 4 Coles Hickory Smoked Shortcut Bacon Rindless rashers, chopped
- 8 Coles RSPCA Approved Australian Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 300g cup mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 700g butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeded, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 tbs ground paprika
- ½ cup (125ml) chicken stock
- ⅓ cup (80ml) pouring (pure) cream
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve
- Sliced Coles Finest by Laurent Rye Sourdough Vienna, toasted, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
Cook the bacon in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat, stirring, for 5 mins or until golden. Transfer to a slow cooker.
Place the chicken and flour in a large bowl and toss to coat, shaking off excess. Heat the oil in the pan. Add the chicken and cook, in 2 batches, turning, for 5 mins or until browned all over.
Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker with the onion, garlic, mushroom, pumpkin, paprika and stock. Cover and cook for 4 hours on high (or 6 hours on low) or until the chicken is tender and falling off the bone.
Stir the cream into the chicken mixture in the slow cooker. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with sourdough and lemon wedges.