Crispy pork banh mi
Loaded with crispy pork and veggies, this delicious banh mi recipe is one to add to the list. Ideal for lunch or dinner, it’s easier to recreate at home than you may think, thanks to a couple of shortcut ingredients from Coles.
- 1/4 cup (60ml) rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into long matchsticks
- 1 Coles Bakery French Stick*
- 1 Riverview Farms Australian Hot Pork Roast
- 100g chicken pâté
- 1/3 cup (100g) reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 spring onions, cut into 15cm lengths
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled into ribbons
- 1/2 cup coriander sprigs
- 1 small red chilli, thinly sliced (optional)
Place the vinegar and sugar in a small bowl and stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the carrot and set aside for 20 mins to soak.
Meanwhile, use a large serrated knife to cut French stick into 4 even pieces. Split each piece lengthways (don’t cut all the way through). Remove crackling from the pork and break into bite-sized pieces. Thinly slice half the pork (reserve remaining half for another use).
Drain the carrot. Spread 1 cut side of bread with pâté. Spread remaining cut side with mayonnaise. Top with carrot, pork, spring onion, cucumber, crackling, coriander and chilli, if using.
Love your leftovers: Use the leftover roast pork to make sandwiches or quesadillas. You can also reserve the pickling liquid to use as a tangy salad dressing.
*Selected stores only.