Curtis Stone’s braised whole chicken with chilli verde
Spice up your classic chicken roast with Curtis Stone’s Mexican-style twist. This braised whole chicken is packed with chilli and paprika, a sensational combo.
4 with leftovers
Note: + 10 mins standing & 10 mins resting time
- 2 green bullhorn chillies
- 2 poblano chillies
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil, divided
- 3 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Coles RSPCA Approved Australian Whole Extra Large Chicken (about 2.5kg), backbone removed with kitchen shears, flattened
- 1 cup (250ml) salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 red onion, halved, cut into 1.5cm-thick wedges
- 1 jalapeño or serrano chilli, thickly sliced (optional)
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander, divided
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
Preheat grill on high. Toss bullhorn and poblano chillies with 1 tbs oil on a baking tray. Grill, turning, for 10 mins until charred and tender. Cover. Set aside for 10 mins. Peel and seed. Cut into 2cm-wide strips. Preheat oven to 205°C (185°C fan-forced).
Heat a large ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat. In a small bowl, mix 2 tbs of the oil with paprika, cumin, 2 tsp salt and 1 1/2 tsp pepper. Rub over chicken.
Place, skin-side down, in pan. Cook for 4 mins or until well browned. Transfer to a plate. Combine stock, chilli strips, onion, garlic, jalapeño or serrano chilli, if using, and 1/2 cup coriander in pan. Season. Add chicken, skin-side up.
Braise for 1 hour or until chicken shows no sign of pink when pierced in thigh. Set aside for 10 mins to rest. Sprinkle with remaining coriander. Serve with lime wedges and tortillas.