Curtis’ braised whole chicken with chilli verde
Spice up your classic chicken roast with Curtis’ Mexican-style twist. This braised whole chicken is packed with chilli and paprika, a sensational combo.
4 with leftovers
Note: + 10 mins standing & 10 mins resting time
- 2 green bullhorn chillies
- 2 poblano chillies
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil, divided
- 3 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Coles RSPCA Approved Australian Whole Extra Large Chicken (about 2.5kg), backbone removed with kitchen shears, flattened
- 1 cup (250ml) salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 red onion, halved, cut into 1.5cm-thick wedges
- 1 jalapeño or serrano chilli, thickly sliced (optional)
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander, divided
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
Preheat grill on high. Toss bullhorn and poblano chillies with 1 tbs oil on a baking tray. Grill, turning, for 10 mins until charred and tender. Cover. Set aside for 10 mins. Peel and seed. Cut into 2cm-wide strips. Preheat oven to 205°C (185°C fan-forced).
Heat a large ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat. In a small bowl, mix 2 tbs of the oil with paprika, cumin, 2 tsp salt and 1 1/2 tsp pepper. Rub over chicken.
Place, skin-side down, in pan. Cook for 4 mins or until well browned. Transfer to a plate. Combine stock, chilli strips, onion, garlic, jalapeño or serrano chilli, if using, and 1/2 cup coriander in pan. Season. Add chicken, skin-side up.
Braise for 1 hour or until chicken shows no sign of pink when pierced in thigh. Set aside for 10 mins to rest. Sprinkle with remaining coriander. Serve with lime wedges and tortillas.
Check ingredient labels to make sure they meet your specific dietary requirements and always consult a health professional before changing your diet.