Curtis Stone's bruschetta with tomato, parmesan and basil broth
Take your bruschetta to the next level with Curtis Stone’s gourmet recipe. It features white wine, basil and a hint of chilli for the ultimate flavour sensation.
- 5 truss tomatoes (about 650g)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 6 tbs extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 1 long red chilli, seeded, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 75g-piece parmesan with rind (such as Coles Italian Grana Padano)
- 3/4 cup basil leaves
- 8 x 2.5cm-thick slices Coles Bakery Stone Baked by Laurent Sourdough Baguette
- 1 lemon
- Parmesan, extra, to serve
Prepare a charcoal barbecue for high heat. Barbecue tomatoes, turning, for 10 mins or until skin blackens and flesh softens. Transfer to a plate and carefully cut into quarters.
Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Thinly slice 2 garlic cloves. Add 2 tbs oil, onion, sliced garlic and the chilli, if using. Sauté for 4 mins. Add wine and bring to a simmer. Add the tomato (including charred skins), 3/4 cup (185ml) water and parmesan with rind. Simmer gently, stirring any melted parmesan into broth, for 15 mins or until the tomato has softened into a sauce and the broth is reduced by about half. Stir in the basil. Season with salt.
Meanwhile, brush the baguette slices with 3 tbs oil and sprinkle with salt. Barbecue for 2 mins each side or until toasted. Rub remaining garlic clove over warm baguette slices.
Place baguette slices on serving plates. Spoon over the tomato mixture, allowing liquid to absorb into the bread and pool on the plate. Grate lemon zest and extra parmesan over bruschetta. Drizzle with the remaining oil.