Curtis Stone's maple-glazed ham
Take your Christmas ham to the next level with Curtis Stone’s best-ever glazed ham. With a sweet maple glaze, it’s sure to wow the crowd.
Note: + 20 mins resting time
- 1 Coles Beechwood Double Smoked Half Leg Ham (about 3kg)
- 2 carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, coarsely chopped
- 1 brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 100g butter, chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) maple syrup
- 1/3 cup (95g) Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup (80ml) orange juice
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lime juice
- 3 tsp finely grated ginger
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Run a small sharp knife down the back of the ham. Using your fingers, gently separate skin from fat. Remove and discard skin. Run the knife over fat to lightly score all over in a diamond pattern. Place ham in a baking dish with carrot, celery, onion and ½ cup (125ml) water. Cover the dish with foil. Bake for 1½ hours.
Meanwhile, to make the maple glaze, heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter and swirl to melt for 3 mins or until butter has stopped foaming and is light golden brown. Stir in the maple syrup, mustard, orange juice and lime juice. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 3 mins. Remove from heat. Stir in the ginger.
Discard the foil and brush some of the glaze over the ham. Bake ham, basting with glaze every 15 mins, for 1 hour or until warmed through and evenly caramelised. Discard the vegetables.
Set ham aside for 20 mins to rest. Carve ham and serve with remaining glaze.