Curtis Stone's pasta soup with beans and greens
Curl up on the couch with this hearty soup. It’s loaded with risoni, pancetta and cannellini beans. You can get ahead by preparing the soup base without risoni up to two days ahead.
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 100g sliced pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 long red chilli, seeded, thinly sliced (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 4 cups (1L) salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 cup (260g) tomato passata
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale or green kale, trimmed, coarsely chopped
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 3/4 cup (165g) risoni
- 40g piece pecorino or parmesan
- Extra virgin olive oil, extra, to drizzle
Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the oil and pancetta. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 mins or until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to a plate. Add the onion, celery, chilli, if using, garlic and thyme to the pan. Season. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 12 mins or until the vegetables are tender.
Add the stock, passata, kale, beans, 2 cups (500ml) water and 2 tsp salt. Cover and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 mins or until the kale is tender. Add the risoni. Return to a simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 8 mins or until the risoni is just tender. Season.
Divide soup among serving bowls. Top with pancetta and finely grate over the pecorino or parmesan. Drizzle with extra oil and season with pepper.
Check ingredient labels to make sure they meet your specific dietary requirements and always consult a health professional before changing your diet.