Curtis Stone’s pumpkin chana masala
This chana masala is loaded with pumpkin and aromatic flavour. It’s the ultimate way to spice up your week.
- 1/3 cup (80ml) vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbs finely grated ginger
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 small butternut pumpkin (about 700g), peeled, seeded, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups (500ml) salt-reduced vegetable stock or water
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 3/4 cup (150g) jasmine rice
- 1 1/4 cups (310ml) salt-reduced vegetable stock or water, extra
- 1/2 cup (70g) sliced almonds, toasted
Heat half the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 mins or until the onion begins to caramelise. Add garlic, ginger, curry powder, cayenne pepper and 1 tsp salt. Cook, stirring, for 1 min or until aromatic.
Add the pumpkin, tomato, stock or water and chickpeas to the onion mixture. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 mins or until the pumpkin is tender. Season.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the cumin seeds and turmeric. Cook, stirring, for 30 secs or until aromatic. Add the rice and 1 tsp salt and cook, stirring, for 1 min or until rice is coated with spice mixture and lightly toasted. Add extra stock or water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 15 mins or until the liquid is absorbed. Set the rice aside, covered, for 5 mins to steam. Use a fork to separate the grains. Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with almond.
Serve chana masala with the rice.
Serve with coriander leaves