Curtis Stone’s reverse affogato sundaes with caramelised banana
Transport your taste buds to Italy with these reverse affogato sundaes. Served with caramelised banana, this dish is the perfect way to finish any meal.
- 3/4 cup (185ml) thickened cream
- 1/2 cup (125ml) full-cream milk
- 6 extra-large Coles Australian Free Range Egg yolks
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 4 small bananas, peeled, halved lengthways
- 2 tbs caster sugar, extra
- 20g butter
- 8 scoops Coles Mocha Ice Cream
- 1/2 cup (80g) dry-roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
In a small saucepan, combine the cream and milk. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until blended. Gradually whisk in the warm cream mixture, then return mixture to the pan. Using a flat-edged silicone spatula, stir mixture over medium-low heat, without simmering, for 5 mins or until the custard thickens and coats the spatula (custard is ready when it leaves a path on the back of the spatula when a finger is drawn across). Strain custard through a fine sieve into a heatproof bowl. Stir in the vanilla and salt.
Sprinkle cut sides of the banana with the extra sugar. Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the banana, cut-side down, and cook for 1-2 mins or until caramelised.
Divide the banana and ice cream among serving bowls. Pour custard over the ice cream. Sprinkle with almond and serve immediately.