Doreen’s mum’s Sunday cake
A Sunday tradition in Doreen’s household, this delicious cake is so good you’ll be baking it weekly, too. With dried fruit and roasted almonds, it’s a must-try recipe.
Note: + cooling & 30 mins soaking time
- 1 cup (160g) sultanas or raisins
- 1/2 cup (100g) Coles Glacé Cherries (optional)
- 1/4 cup (40g) mixed peel (optional)
- 3 1/2 cups (525g) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 Coles Australian Free Range Eggs
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (120g) Coles Dry Roasted Almonds, chopped
Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease a 22cm (top measurement) fluted bundt or ring pan and dust with flour, shaking off excess. Combine the sultanas or raisins, cherries, if using, and mixed peel, if using, in a large bowl. Add enough warm water to cover and set aside for 30 mins to soak. Drain well.
Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat the eggs and sugar in a bowl on medium until pale and fluffy. Add the butter, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on low until just combined. Add flour mixture, in batches, and beat until combined. Fold in sultana mixture and almond until combined.
Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 15 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into slices to serve.