Golden fruit trifle
Curtis’ golden fruit trifle is packed with summer fruits such as mango and nectarine. It’s a refreshing and delicious way to end your meal.
Note: + 7 hours 20 mins chilling & 15 mins standing time
- 2 (about 450g each) large mangoes, stoned, peeled, cut into 5mm slices
- 3 yellow nectarines, stoned, cut into 1cm wedges
- 3 white nectarines, stoned, cut into 1cm wedges
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) lemon juice
- 24 savoiardi (sponge finger biscuits)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) passionfruit pulp
- 200g mango, stoned, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar, divided
- 4 Coles Australian Free Range Egg yolks
- 2 Coles Australian Free Range Eggs
- 125g unsalted butter, chilled, cubed
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) passionfruit pulp, strained
- 1 1/2 cups (375g) mascarpone
- 600ml Coles Thickened Cream
- 1/2 cup (80g) icing sugar
To make the mango curd, process the mango in a food processor until smooth (you’ll need 3/4 cup of mango puree). Transfer to a medium saucepan with the lemon juice, salt and half the sugar. Cook, stirring, over medium-low heat for 4 mins or until heated through.
In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks, eggs and remaining sugar for 1 min or until pale and foamy. Slowly add the mango mixture, whisking constantly, until combined. Return mixture to the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat for 6 mins or until light, fluffy and thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. Add the butter, in batches, whisking to combine. Strain the mango curd through a fine sieve into a shallow container. Discard solids. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing directly onto the surface. Place in the fridge for 3 hours or until cold and set.
To make the passionfruit syrup, in a small saucepan, bring sugar and 1/2 cup (125ml) water to the boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cook for 4 mins or until syrup thickens. Transfer to a shallow container and place in the fridge for 20 mins or until cool. Stir in strained passionfruit pulp.
To make mascarpone cream, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat mascarpone, cream and icing sugar in a large bowl until stiff peaks form.
In a large bowl, toss the mango, combined nectarine, sugar and lemon juice to coat. Set aside at room temperature, tossing occasionally, for 15 mins or until juices form.
Arrange one-third of the biscuits in a single layer over the base of a 14-cup (3.5L) glass serving dish. Spoon one-third of the passionfruit syrup over biscuits. Top with one-quarter of the fruit mixture and one-quarter of the passionfruit pulp. Top with one-third of the mango curd and one-third of the mascarpone cream. Continue layering with the remaining biscuits, passionfruit syrup, fruit mixture, passionfruit pulp, mango curd and mascarpone cream, finishing with the fruit mixture and passionfruit pulp.
Chill trifle for 4 hours before serving.