Healthy mac and cheese
Give this family favourite a feel-good makeover with a few clever ingredient swaps and hidden veg. It’s perfect for any night of the week.
- 400g chickpea pulse pasta
- 500g cauliflower, finely chopped
- 2 large zucchini, finely chopped
- 4 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 leek, pale section only, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 150g light cream cheese, chopped
- 2/3 cup (80g) shredded light tasty cheddar
- 1/4 cup (20g) finely grated parmesan
Preheat grill on high. Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup (250ml) of the cooking liquid.
Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the cauliflower, zucchini, celery, leek, garlic and 2 tbs water and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 mins or until the vegetables soften.
Add the cream cheese, half the cheddar, half the parmesan and the reserved cooking liquid to the vegetable mixture. Cook, stirring, until the cream cheese melts. Add the pasta and toss to combine. Transfer to a 12-cup (3L) ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar and parmesan. Cook under the grill for 5 mins or until the cheese melts and is golden. Season with pepper.