Hot cross puddings with apples
These single serve hot cross bun puddings are filled with sweet baked apples. Topped with toffee sauce and cream, they make a delicious Easter dessert.
Note: + Cooling & 1 hour soaking time
- 6 Coles Finest Brioche Hot Cross Buns, cut horizontally into 4 slices
- 2 Royal Gala apples, peeled, cored, sliced crossways into 5mm-thick rings
- 2 cups (500ml) thickened cream
- 1 cup (250ml) full-cream milk
- 4 large Coles Australian Free Range Eggs
- 2/3 cup (150g) caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Caster sugar, extra, to sprinkle
- Toffee sauce (recipe follows), to serve (optional)
Preheat oven to 175°C (155°C fan-forced). Divide the bun slices between 2 baking trays. Cook, turning once halfway through cooking, for 8-10 mins or until bun slices are dry but not brown. Divide bun bases among six 11cm-wide, 4.5cm-high, 1 1/4-cup (310ml) capacity ramekins. Top each with an apple slice and another bun slice. Continue layering with remaining apple and bun slices, finishing with bun tops, cross-side up.
In a large bowl, whisk the cream, milk, eggs, 2/3 cup (150g) caster sugar and vanilla. Pour 2/3 cup (160ml) of the cream mixture into each ramekin. Place in the fridge, occasionally pressing bread and apples into cream mixture, for 1 hour or until bread is saturated.
Brush remaining cream mixture over bun tops and sprinkle with extra caster sugar. Bake for 25 mins or until golden and puffed around the edges. Set aside for 10 mins to cool (custard will thicken as it cools).
Serve puddings warm with toffee sauce, if desired.