Khanh Ong's classic prawn cocktail salad
Here’s a starter to wow your crowd. Inspired by the much-loved dish, this prawn cocktail salad is a must-try.
4 as a starter
- 1 baby cos lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 16 cooked tiger prawns, peeled leaving tails intact, deveined
- 1 firm ripe avocado, stoned, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe mango, stoned, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- Dill sprigs, to garnish
Marie Rose cocktail sauce
- 250g whole-egg mayonnaise
- 2 tbs tomato sauce
- 2 tbs finely chopped dill
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp brandy (optional)
- 1-2 drops Tabasco sauce
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
To make the Marie Rose cocktail sauce, combine the mayonnaise, tomato sauce, dill, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, brandy, if using, Tabasco sauce, salt and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
On a large platter, arrange lettuce, prawns, avocado and mango, drizzling 2 tbs cocktail sauce between layers as you go.
Top the salad with another 2 tbs cocktail sauce around the platter. Sprinkle with the torn dill leaves. Season with pepper.
Tip: Store the remaining Marie Rose cocktail sauce, covered, in the fridge for up to 1 week.