Labne and spiced roasted vegetable salad
Pairing creamy labne with spiced roasted veg creates a salad full of aromatic flavour. It’s perfect as a side or light starter this entertaining season.
Note: + cooling & 6 hours chilling time
- 1kg Greek-style yoghurt
- 8 baby carrots*, halved lengthways
- 700g gold sweet potato, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 700g butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeded, cut into 2cm-thick slices
- 3 small red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sumac or ground cumin
- 2 tsp black sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup (70g) pistachios, chopped
Line a large sieve with muslin or a clean Chux cloth and place over a large bowl. Spoon yoghurt into sieve. Loosely cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 6 hours or overnight to drain.
Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place the carrot, sweet potato, pumpkin and onion on the lined tray. Sprinkle with the fennel seeds and coriander. Season. Drizzle with half the oil. Roast for 35 mins or until the vegetables are golden and tender. Set aside to cool.
Spoon labne over a serving platter. Sprinkle with sumac or cumin and half the sesame seeds. Arrange vegetables over the labne and drizzle with any pan juices. Serve with pistachio, remaining sesame seeds and remaining oil.
*If unavailable, use small carrots