Mediterranean-style orzo with prawns
Coles ambassador and foodie Mary Kalifatidis shares her delicious recipe for orzo with prawns. Full of flavour, it’s perfect for entertaining.
6 as a starter
Note: + cooling time
- 1 1/2 cups (330g) dried orzo (risoni)
- 1 red capsicum, seeded, chopped
- 1 yellow capsicum, seeded, chopped
- 1 eggplant, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1kg Coles Thawed Australian MSC* Raw Banana Prawns, peeled (from the deli)
- 1 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup (160g) mixed olives
- 100g fetta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 tsp Maldon Smoked Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbs white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
Cook the orzo in a large saucepan of boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Refresh under cold water. Drain well.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Arrange the combined capsicum, eggplant and zucchini on the lined tray. Drizzle with 1 tbs of the oil and sprinkle with oregano. Season. Bake for 20 mins or until tender and golden brown. Set aside to cool.
Heat half the remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the prawns to the pan and cook, in batches, for 1-2 mins each side or until prawns curl and change colour. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Season.
Meanwhile, to make the mustard dressing, combine the oil, salt, oregano, lemon juice, mustard, garlic and vinegar in a screw-top jar and shake until well combined.
Place the orzo, capsicum mixture, prawns and parsley in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and toss to combine. Arrange on a serving platter. Sprinkle with olives and fetta.