Nornie Bero’s semur chicken
A favourite in the Torres Strait, this tasty semur chicken recipe is packed with rich flavour.
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 Coles RSPCA Approved Australian Whole Chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 stems lemongrass, pale section only, finely chopped
- 4cm-piece ginger, finely grated
- 1 tbs chilli paste (optional)
- 1 cup (250ml) salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 1/4 cups (310ml) non-alcoholic beer or Coles Real Vegetable Stock
- 250g Coles Asia Vermicelli Rice Noodles
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch pak choy, quartered
- 4 stems silverbeet, leaves only, chopped
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Cook the chicken, in 2 batches, for 2-3 mins each side or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
Reduce heat to medium. Add the onion, garlic, lemongrass, ginger and chilli paste, if using, to the pan. Cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until the onion is lightly browned. Add the soy sauce and 1 cup (250ml) water and bring to a simmer. Cook for 8-10 mins or until the sauce reduces by half. Reduce heat to low. Stir in the beer or stock. Return the chicken, skin-side up, to the pan. Cook, uncovered, for 20-25 mins or until the chicken is cooked through and falling off the bone.
Meanwhile, place the noodles in a heatproof bowl and cover with hot water. Set aside for 5 mins or until noodles soften. Drain.
Add the noodles, spring onion, pak choy and silverbeet leaves to the pan. Simmer for a further 5 mins or until the pak choy and silverbeet wilt slightly.
Divide noodles, pak choy, silverbeet and chicken among serving bowls. Drizzle with a little of the sauce.
Swap me To make this dish vegan*, use 2 large eggplants, cut into 2cm pieces, and 3 large potatoes, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces.
*Always check the label to make sure you’re using vegan ingredients.