Nornie Bero’s Sop Sop (yam stew)
Enjoy a taste of the Torres Strait with this delicious stew. Made with coconut cream and loaded with veggies, it will be a hit at the dinner table.
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 200g Kent pumpkin, peeled, seeded, cut into 4cm pieces
- 200g white or gold sweet potato, peeled, cut into 4cm pieces
- 200g taro or parsnip, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
- 200g cassava or extra white or gold sweet potato, peeled, cut into 4cm pieces
- 2 tsp celery salt
- 400ml coconut cream
- 1 cup (250ml) vegetable stock
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve
- Celery salt, extra, to serve
- Steamed rice, to serve
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 3-4 mins or until the onion starts to brown. Add the pumpkin, sweet potato, taro or parsnip and cassava or extra sweet potato. Cook, stirring, for 2 mins. Add the celery salt and cook for 2 mins or until vegetables are lightly browned.
Add the coconut cream and stock to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 45 mins or until the vegetables are tender and the mixture thickens. Sprinkle with parsley and extra celery salt. Serve with rice.