Paola Braiotta’s torta gelato (Italian ice cream cake)
Topped with berries and shaved dark chocolate, this irresistible frozen dessert is guaranteed to be a new family favourite.
Note: + chilling & 8 hours freezing time
- 1/2 x 450g pkt Coles Rectangular Double Unfilled Sponge Cake
- 1/3 cup (80ml) sweet vermouth
- Yellow and red liquid food colouring, to tint
- 300g almonds, toasted, chopped
- 1/2 x 1L tub vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1/2 x 1L tub chocolate ice cream, softened
- 1/2 x 1L tub coffee ice cream with chocolate-coated almonds, softened
- Shaved dark chocolate, to serve
- Fresh or frozen berries, to serve
Line an 11.5cm x 20cm (base measurement) loaf pan with 2 layers of plastic wrap, allowing the sides to overhang. Cut sponge cake in half and crumble each half into separate bowls. Divide vermouth between each bowl. Tint 1 cake portion yellow with yellow food colouring, stirring with a fork to combine. Repeat with the remaining cake portion and the red food colouring.
Spread one-third of the almonds over the base of the pan. Spoon over the vanilla ice cream and smooth the surface. Sprinkle with yellow cake and press into the surface. Sprinkle with half the remaining almond. Continue layering with the chocolate ice cream, red cake, remaining almonds and the coffee ice cream. Smooth the surface.
Fold the plastic wrap over the ice cream cake and place in the freezer for 8 hours or overnight or until firm.
Place a serving platter in the freezer for 10 mins to chill. Turn ice cream cake onto the platter and remove the plastic wrap. Top with chocolate and berries to serve.