Pea and broccoli soup with grilled cheese sandwich croutons
Packed with veggies, this soup is served with grilled cheese sandwich croutons. Try it for lunch or dinner this autumn.
Note: + Cooling time
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, pale section only, coarsely chopped
- 1 brushed potato, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 cups (1L) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 small head broccoli, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups (240g) frozen peas
- 20g butter, at room temperature
- 4 thick slices multigrain bread
- 2 slices tasty cheddar
- Coarsely chopped chives, to serve
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, leek, potato and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until onion softens. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Add the broccoli and peas. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 mins or until broccoli is very tender. Set aside to cool.
Transfer the cooled broccoli mixture to the jug of a blender and blend until smooth. Return to the saucepan over low heat and heat through.
Preheat a sandwich press or large frying pan over high heat. Spread the butter evenly over 1 side of each bread slice. Sandwich the cheddar, butter-side out, between bread slices. Cook in sandwich press for 2 mins or in frying pan for 2 mins each side, or until cheddar melts and the bread is golden brown. Cut into 2cm-wide croutons.
Divide the soup among serving bowls. Top with the croutons and sprinkle with chives to serve.
Double up on value veg
Take advantage of in-season vegetables, such as broccoli, and make an extra batch of this soup to freeze.