Pork, fennel and sage ragu with polenta
Put your slow cooker to work and make this mouth-watering pork ragu. Served with fluffy polenta, it’s a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
- 1.2kg Coles Australian Pork Slow Cook Scotch Roast, cut into 10cm pieces
- 1 tsp ground fennel or fennel seeds
- 6 pancetta slices, thinly sliced
- 200ml red wine or chicken stock
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 2 x 400g cans cherry tomatoes
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 small fennel, thinly sliced, fronds reserved
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbs finely chopped sage
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- 1 1/2 cups (250g) polenta (cornmeal)
- 1 cup (80g) finely grated parmesan
- 50g butter, chopped
- 2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
Place pork and ground fennel or fennel seeds in a large bowl. Toss to coat. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook, turning occasionally, for 5-6 mins or until brown all over. Transfer to a plate. Add the pancetta. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 mins or until crisp. Return pork to the pan with the wine or stock and bring to the boil. Remove from heat.
Combine the tomatoes, onion, carrot, sliced fennel, garlic, sage and the pork mixture in a slow cooker. Cover and cook for 4 hours on high (or 8 hours on low) or until the pork is tender. Transfer pork to a plate. Use 2 forks to coarsely shred. Cook the tomato mixture in the slow cooker for a further 15-20 mins on high or until the mixture thickens slightly.
Meanwhile, to make the polenta, place the stock, milk and 2 cups (500ml) water in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Gradually add polenta in a thin, steady stream, whisking constantly. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 4-5 mins or until polenta thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in the parmesan and butter.
Return pork to the tomato mixture in the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Divide polenta among serving bowls. Top with pork mixture. Season. Sprinkle with the reserved fennel fronds.