Potato rosti with poached egg
Say hello to your new brunch favourite. This crispy potato rosti is topped with a gooey poached egg - savoury perfection!
- 6 large brushed potatoes, peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 brown onion, coarsely grated
- 40g butter, melted
- Vegetable oil, to shallow-fry
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 4 Coles Australian Free Range Eggs
- 200g Coles Smoked Salmon
- 1 avocado, stoned, peeled, thinly sliced
- 60g pkt Coles Australian Baby Rocket
Chive and dill dressing
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon drained baby capers, coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 100°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Combine the potato and onion in a large bowl. Transfer to a colander. Use your hands to squeeze as much liquid from the potato mixture as possible. Transfer the potato mixture to a medium bowl. Stir in the butter. Season well.
Add enough oil to a large non-stick frying pan to cover the base. Place over medium heat. Spoon two 1/2-cup portions of mixture into the pan. Use a spatula to flatten each portion to a 10cm disc. Cook for 3-4 mins each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a heatproof plate lined with paper towel. Place in the oven to keep warm. Repeat in 3 more batches with the remaining potato mixture.
Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to a simmer over high heat. Add vinegar. Crack 1 egg into a small bowl. Stir the water to create a whirlpool. Pour the egg into the centre of whirlpool. Cook, without stirring, for 3 mins for a runny yolk or until cooked to your liking. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a bowl. Repeat with remaining eggs.
To make chive & dill dressing, whisk oil, vinegar, mustard, chives, dill and caper in a bowl until combined. Season.
Divide rosti, salmon, avocado, rocket and poached eggs among serving plates. Drizzle with dressing.