Prawn and potato soup with chilli toast
A warming soup to slurp on a chilly night - is there anything better? This tasty combination of prawn and potato is guaranteed to be your new favourite.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 50g streaky bacon rashers, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup (60ml) sherry (optional)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 500g Red Royale potatoes, cut into 3cm pieces
- 4 cups (1L) salt-reduced chicken stock
- 400g tomato passata
- 1/2 Coles Bakery Stone Baked by Laurent Sourdough Baguette, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 garlic clove, extra, halved
- Tabasco sauce, to serve
- 600g raw prawns, peeled leaving tails intact, deveined
- 2 tbs coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Heat half the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, bacon and crushed garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 mins or until onion softens and the bacon is golden brown.
Increase heat to high. Add the sherry, if using, and cook, stirring, for 2-3 mins or until liquid reduces. Add the paprika and potato and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 min or until well combined.
Add stock, passata and 1/4 cup (60ml) water to the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 8 mins or until the potatoes are tender.
Meanwhile, lightly spray both sides of baguette slices with olive oil spray. Arrange over lined tray. Bake for 5 mins or until golden. Rub both sides of the bread with cut side of the extra garlic. Drizzle with some of the Tabasco.
Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Season. Add prawns and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 mins or until prawns curl and are cooked through. Stir in half the parsley.
Divide soup among serving bowls. Top with the prawns. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley. Serve with chilli toast.