Pulled pork with olives and pearl barley
Warm everyone up with this hearty pearl barley dish. Loaded with veggies, pulled pork and olives, it’s sure to be a hit at the dinner table.
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1.8kg Coles Australian Pork Shoulder Roast Boneless
- 2 brown onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 carrot, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery stick, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups (750ml) salt-reduced chicken stock
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (200g) pearl barley
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato paste
- 100g pitted Sicilian olives, coarsely chopped
- 50g pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 120g pkt Coles Australian Baby Spinach
- 1/2 bunch dill, sprigs picked
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Remove the string from the pork. Season. Add to the pan and cook for 2-3 mins each side or until browned all over. Transfer the pork to a slow cooker.
Add the onion, garlic, carrot, celery, stock, diced tomato, pearl barley and tomato paste to the pork in the slow cooker. Cover and cook for 6 hours on high (or 8 hours on low) or until the pork is very tender and the mixture thickens. Transfer the pork to a heatproof bowl.
Add the combined olives and the vinegar to the barley mixture in the slow cooker and stir to combine. Stir in the spinach and half the dill.
Use 2 forks to coarsely shred the pork. Divide the spinach mixture evenly among serving bowls. Top with pork and sprinkle with the remaining dill.