Roast chicken with leek and tarragon
Whip classic comfort food with this perfect roast chicken. Tender meat paired with tasty leek and tarragon make for a winning combination.
Note: + 10 mins resting time
- 1.8kg Coles RSPCA Approved Australian Whole Chicken
- 500g baby potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 leeks, pale section only, thickly sliced
- 1 bunch spring onions, cut into 5cm lengths
- 1 cup (250ml) white wine
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup tarragon sprigs
- Tarragon sprigs, extra to serve
- Steamed green beans, to serve
Preheat oven to 150°C. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole pan over high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 3 mins each side or until golden brown. Transfer to a plate.
Add the potato, garlic and leek to the pan and cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until light golden. Add the spring onion and wine and bring to the boil. Remove from heat. Stir in the stock and mustard. Place the chicken over the vegetables in the pan. Sprinkle chicken mixture with tarragon. Season well.
Roast, basting chicken occasionally with pan juices, for 1 1/2 hours or until the juices run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced with a skewer. Cover with foil and set aside for 10 mins to rest.
Sprinkle the chicken with extra tarragon and serve with green beans.