Roast porchetta with braised mushroom and barley
This easy roast porchetta recipe is sure to impress. With crispy crackling and seasoned mushroom, barley and mixed veggies, it’s a flavour sensation.
Note: + 15 mins resting & overnight standing time
- 1kg Coles Ready to Roast Porchetta with Fennel & Orange Seasoning
- 20g pkt dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup (250ml) boiling water
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 200g brown mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 small fennel, finely chopped, fronds reserved
- 1 cup (200g) pearl barley
- 2 cups (500ml) salt-reduced chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine or extra vegetable stock
- 1 orange, zested, juiced
- 2 tbs crème fraîche or sour cream
Place pork on a plate lined with paper towel. Place in the fridge, uncovered, overnight to dry out the rind.
Preheat oven to 230°C. Place the pork in a roasting pan. Spray with olive oil spray and season with salt. Roast for 30 mins or until the rind crackles. Reduce oven to 180°C.
Meanwhile, place the porcini mushrooms in a heatproof bowl. Pour over the boiling water and set aside for 15 mins to soak.
Heat the oil in a large ovenproof frying pan or ovenproof frying pan over medium heat. Add the brown mushroom and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 mins or until the mushroom is golden. Transfer to a separate heatproof bowl. Add the onion, carrot, celery, zucchini and fennel to the pan and cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until the onion softens. Return the brown mushroom to the pan with porcini mushroom mixture, barley, stock, wine or extra stock and orange juice. Bring to the boil.
Transfer the frying pan to the oven. Roast with the pork for 45-60 mins or until the pork is cooked through and the barley mixture is tender. Transfer pork to a plate and cover with foil. Set aside for 15 mins to rest.
Stir the crème fraîche or sour cream into the barley mixture. Season. Thickly slice the porchetta and arrange on top of the barley mixture. Sprinkle with orange zest to serve.