Sloppy joes with pickled onion
Ready in just 30 minutes, these sloppy joes with pickled onion are perfect for busy weeknights.
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup (80ml) apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 200g pkt Coles Australian Shredded Carrot
- 1 red capsicum, seeded, finely chopped
- 500g Coles Australian No Added Hormones 4 Star Beef Mince
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbs tomato sauce
- 4 Coles Brioche Burger Buns, split, toasted
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 cup (60g) shredded iceberg lettuce
Combine the onion, half the vinegar and half the sugar in a small bowl. Season. Set aside, stirring occasionally, to soften. Drain well.
Meanwhile, spray a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil spray and place over medium-high heat. Add the carrot and capsicum and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 mins or until carrot softens. Transfer to a plate.
Reduce heat to medium. Add the mince and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up any lumps, for 5 mins or until the mince changes colour. Add the tomato, tomato sauce, remaining vinegar and remaining sugar and stir to combine. Return the carrot mixture to pan and stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10 mins or until the liquid reduces by half. Season.
Divide the bun bases among serving plates. Spoon the mince mixture over the bases. Top with cheese, pickled onion, lettuce and bun tops.
Serve with sweet potato chips