Slow cooker beef and rice hot pot
Full of rich flavour, this slow cooked beef hot pot is guaranteed to be a new family favourite.
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 600g Coles Australian No Added Hormones Beef Chuck Casserole
- Steak, cut into 4cm pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lemongrass stem, halved
- 1 cup (250ml) Chinese cooking wine
- 1/3 cup (80ml) light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (55g) brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (250g) jasmine rice, rinsed
- 1 tbs finely grated ginger
- 100g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 100g snow peas, shredded, blanched
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into long matchsticks
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (75g) bean sprouts
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced (optional)
Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Cook the beef, turning occasionally, for 5 mins or until browned. Transfer to a slow cooker.
Add the garlic, lemongrass, wine, soy sauce, sugar and ¼ cup (60ml) water to slow cooker. Cover. Cook for 4 hours on high (or 6 hours on low) or until the beef is very tender. Carefully transfer the beef to a heatproof bowl and cover with foil. Discard the lemongrass.
Add the rice, ginger, mushroom and sesame oil to mixture in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, or until the rice is tender. Use 2 forks to coarsely shred the beef. Return the beef to the rice mixture in the slow cooker. Cover and cook for 5 mins or until heated through.
Divide the beef mixture among serving bowls. Top with snow peas, carrot, spring onion, bean sprouts and chilli, if using.