Slow cooker beef and rice hot pot
Full of rich flavour, this slow cooked beef hot pot is guaranteed to be a new family favourite.
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 600g Coles Australian No Added Hormones Beef Chuck Casserole
- Steak, cut into 4cm pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lemongrass stem, halved
- 1 cup (250ml) Chinese cooking wine
- 1/3 cup (80ml) light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (55g) brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (250g) jasmine rice, rinsed
- 1 tbs finely grated ginger
- 100g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 100g snow peas, shredded, blanched
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into long matchsticks
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (75g) bean sprouts
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced (optional)
Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Cook the beef, turning occasionally, for 5 mins or until browned. Transfer to a slow cooker.
Add the garlic, lemongrass, wine, soy sauce, sugar and ¼ cup (60ml) water to slow cooker. Cover. Cook for 4 hours on high (or 6 hours on low) or until the beef is very tender. Carefully transfer the beef to a heatproof bowl and cover with foil. Discard the lemongrass.
Add the rice, ginger, mushroom and sesame oil to mixture in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, or until the rice is tender. Use 2 forks to coarsely shred the beef. Return the beef to the rice mixture in the slow cooker. Cover and cook for 5 mins or until heated through.
Divide the beef mixture among serving bowls. Top with snow peas, carrot, spring onion, bean sprouts and chilli, if using.
Check ingredient labels to make sure they meet your specific dietary requirements and always consult a health professional before changing your diet.