Slow cooker pork and rice stuffed pumpkin
Filled with pork and rice, this stuffed pumpkin recipe is packed with flavour. Try something new this weekend and be rewarded with a taste sensation.
- 2kg whole butternut pumpkin, halved lengthways, seeds removed
- 1 small leek, pale section only, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 50g brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 250g microwavable black rice
- 250g Coles Australian Extra Lean Pork Mince
- 1 small Royal Gala apple, cored, coarsely grated
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbs finely shredded sage
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbs honey
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar, extra
- 1 tbs chopped pecans
Place pumpkin in a slow cooker with 1 cup (250ml) water. Cover and cook for 2 hours on high or until slightly tender. Transfer to a heatproof work surface.
Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add leek and 2 tbs water. Cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until leek softens. Add garlic and brussels sprout. Cook for 2 mins or until the brussels sprout wilts. Combine the leek mixture, rice, mince, apple, vinegar and half the sage in a large bowl. Season.
Use a spoon to scoop out the pumpkin flesh, leaving a 3cm-thick shell. Divide the mince mixture among the pumpkin shells and press down firmly. Carefully place the pumpkin shells together and tie with kitchen string to secure. Place in the slow cooker. Cover and cook for 2 hours on high or until the pumpkin is tender and the pork is cooked through.
Combine oil, honey and extra vinegar in a bowl. Cut the pumpkin into slices. Sprinkle with pecan and remaining sage. Drizzle with oil mixture to serve.
Serve with mixed salad leaves