Southern-style sweet potato salad
Light up the table with our Southern-style sweet potato salad. It's delicious flavours are brought together by a zingy buttermilk dressing.
Note: + Cooling time
- 2 large gold sweet potatoes, halved lengthways, thickly sliced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs Cajun seasoning
- 1 corn cob, husk and silk removed
- 1/3 cup (80ml) buttermilk
- 1/4 cup (75g) whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1 tbs lime juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander
- 1 avocado, stoned, peeled, cut into thin wedges
- 1 red capsicum, seeded, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coriander sprigs
Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Combine sweet potato, oil and Cajun seasoning in a large bowl. Arrange in a single layer on lined tray. Bake, turning occasionally, for 30 mins or until sweet potato is tender.
Meanwhile, heat a barbecue grill or chargrill on medium. Cook the corn, turning, for 10 mins or until lightly charred and tender. Set aside to cool. Use a knife to cut down the side of the corn to release the kernels.
Place the buttermilk, mayonnaise, lime juice and chopped coriander in a small bowl and stir to combine. Season.
Place sweet potato, corn, avocado, capsicum, onion and coriander sprigs in a large bowl. Drizzle with the buttermilk dressing and gently toss to combine. Transfer to a serving platter.