Spice-roasted chicken with vegetables
For a delicious family meal, try this whole roast chicken coated in spices and served with tender onion, carrot, zucchini and greens.
Note: + 15 mins resting time
- 80g butter, softened
- 1/4 tsp mixed spice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tsp finely grated orange rind
- 2 x 1.3kg Slow Hills RSPCA Whole Chicken
- 1 large orange, cut into wedges
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 zucchini, thickly sliced
- 3 bunches Dutch carrots, peeled, or 600g baby carrots, peeled, halved lengthways
- 1 bunch baby broccoli
- Steamed green beans, to serve
- 1/4 cup (35g) chopped hazelnuts
- Thyme sprigs, to serve
Preheat oven to 200°C. Combine the butter, mixed spice, garlic, honey and orange rind in a bowl. Season.
Spread the butter mixture evenly over each chicken and rub all over to coat. Divide the orange wedges evenly between the cavities. Use kitchen string to tie the legs together.
Place the chickens in a large roasting pan. Roast for 55 mins, covering the pan with foil if necessary to prevent overbrowning. Arrange the onion, zucchini and carrots around the chickens in the pan. Roast for 10 mins. Add the baby broccoli to the pan. Roast for a further 10 mins or until the vegetables are tender and the chickens are cooked through.
Cover the chickens and set aside for 15 mins to rest.
Place the beans in a serving bowl. Sprinkle with hazelnut. Sprinkle the chickens and vegetables with thyme to serve.