Spiced pumpkin muffins
Whip up these simple spiced pumpkin muffins to celebrate the change of seasons. They’re ideal for all sorts of occasions, whether it's the school lunch box, dessert or afternoon tea.
Note: + cooling time
- 2 1/2 cups (375g) self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup (165g) brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated butternut pumpkin
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 Coles Australian Free Range Egg
- 1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
- 1/3 cup (80ml) vegetable oil
- Mixed spice, extra, to serve
Cream cheese icing
- 250g cream cheese, softened
- 50g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (80g) icing sugar mixture
Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 12-hole, ⅓ cup (80ml) muffin pan lined with paper cases.
Combine the flour, brown sugar, pumpkin and mixed spice in a large bowl. Whisk the egg, buttermilk and oil in a jug. Add to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
Divide the batter among the paper cases. Bake for 20-25 mins or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely.
To make the cream cheese icing, place the cream cheese, butter and icing sugar in a bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat until smooth. Place in a piping bag fitted with a 1cm fluted nozzle.
Pipe icing over the muffins. Sprinkle with extra mixed spice to serve.